The world Health Organisation (WHO) describes mental health as ”a state of well-being in which an individual realises his or her own abilities , can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and is able to make a contribution to his or her community.” clearly mental health is integral to have a fulfilling life.
Travel is a great way to maintain mental wellbeing and, by extension, it contributes to a happier and more fulfilling life. So, here are 6 reasons why travel is good for your mental health.
1. Travel gives you opportunities to try new things and meet new people, helping you combat monotony; Travel connects people and provides opportunities to learn about new and different cultures, which may help improve your overall tolerance, reduce biases and even decrease frustration.
2. Activities, like walking, hiking and skiing, in scenic areas can help you become more hopeful.
3. Travel is great for relieving stress and improving your general outlook on life; according to a 2013 study with people aged 25-70+, 80% of respondents said travel improves their general mood and outlook on life with 75% of respondents also saying travel helps them reduce stress.
4. Travel helps your brain function better and boosts creativity; immersing yourself in new cultures increases your minds ability to move between different ideas, think more deeply, and integrate thoughts.
5. Taking a trip helps you do good, which helps you feel good; some evidence suggests that helping others can promote physiological changes in brain linked with happiness. Spending money during your holidays in restaurants, attraction sites and even locally made souvenirs, helps support the 330 million people who rely on the sector for their livelihoods.
6. Doing something you enjoy makes you happy; pull out that bucket list and see what you still need to check off. By doing something you enjoy, you perform necessary self-care and contribute to your own happiness.
Now that you know the benefits, where are you going next? Check www.tripplug.com to get started.
Nice write up 👏